Baxter & Woodman Projects Recognized with APWA Awards

Baxter & Woodman, Inc.
CRYSTAL LAKE, IL, (March 14, 2017)

Several local branches of the American Public Works Association (APWA) have recognized Baxter & Woodman, Inc. projects with APWA 2017 Project of the Year awards. This award promotes excellence in public works by recognizing the alliance between the managing agency, the consultant/architect/engineer, and the contractor who, working together, complete public works projects. The winning projects include:

  • City of Crest Hill, IL – Well House #1 Replacement Project
    2017 Project of the Year – APWA Southwest Branch – Environment Category –
    Less than $5 Million

    The City of Crest Hill’s 1960s Well House #1 had reached the end of its useful life and was in need of replacement. A prefabricated building on a concrete foundation with separate electrical room, chemical feed room and chlorine room, a natural gas fueled emergency power generator, site piping, conduits, and drainage improvements was installed to provide more consistent well pumping redundancy and capacity.
  • City of Waukegan, IL – Mathon Drive Bridge Replacement Project
    2017 Project of the Year – APWA Lake Branch – Transportation Category –
    $5-$25 Million

    The Mathon Drive Bridge connects downtown Waukegan with the lakefront recreational facilities and industries adjacent to Lake Michigan. The $7.8 million project was funded with an 80 percent contribution from the Federal Surface Transportation Program (STP-Bridge Funds), while the City covered the remaining 20 percent. The improvements will result in safer movement across the bridge, improved access for bicyclists and pedestrians, and reduced maintenance costs.
  • Village of Plainfield, IL – 135th Street Pedestrian Crossing Safety Improvement Project
    2017 Service Improvement Award – APWA Southwest Branch
    The 135th Street Pedestrian Crossing Safety Improvements connected two multi-use asphalt paths across the existing railroad by extending the railroad crossing surface to the path from the adjacent at-grade roadway railroad crossing. These improvements provide a safe location separated from vehicular traffic to cross the tracks for pedestrians and bicyclists, including schoolchildren accessing Walker Grove Elementary.
  • Glenbard Wastewater Authority, IL – WWTP Combined Heat And Power Project
    2017 Project of the Year – APWA Suburban Branch – Structures Category –
    Less than $5 Million

    The Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Project at the Glenbard Wastewater Authority provides on-site generation of electricity and thermal energy using digester gas generated during the plant’s anaerobic treatment process. The project was designed, built, and operational using design-build project delivery in under 12 months, qualifying for nearly $1M in public grant funding.